Friday, February 20, 2015

50 Shades of Grey Review


Hey There!


So last night I finally went to see the movie that everyone has been talking about - 50 Shades of Grey.

After hearing a number of mixed reviews ranging from "I absolutely loved it" to "it was the worst film I've ever seen", I really wanted to just see what it was like for myself so I'd be able to judge it from my own experience.

Honestly, I went in with extremely low expectations - I was more looking forward to having a nice evening out with my girlfriends and devouring large quantities of popcorn. (Also, watching the trailers before the movie - one of the main reasons for me to go to the cinema in the first place.)

Anyway, I digress. 

I had not read the books, but much like everyone, I knew the gist of it. It's an 18+ film and we were asked for ID's upon purchasing our tickets, but nevertheless I knew they couldn't quite show the same amount of graphic details on the big screen as they apparently showed in the books. 

In the first 10 minutes of the film, I already predicted my overall reaction. 

Terrible acting, terrible plot and really terrible screenplay. 
Granted, the last bit wasn't the filmmakers fault - there's only so much you can get out of a bad book. 

The choice of actors was appropriate, but not spectacular. Yes, Jamie Dornan is incredibly hot and we all loved seeing him naked - let's be honest. But he just didn't quite seem right for the part of Christian Grey - he didn't appear to have that dark depth of character that the part implied. 

Dakota Johnson was a good choice for the part of Anastasia Steele - but once again, I wasn't blown away. 

As for the sex scenes (which is the main reason the franchise has gained so much popularity) weren't a complete disappointment, all things considered. They did their best, I suppose. The whole BDSM thing was made quite explicit, but not overly graphic. However, I just didn't see enough chemistry between Jamie and Dakota - they didn't have that uncontrollable passion that you expect from a movie where sex essentially drives the entire plot. 

The ending was abrupt and that worked well - I am slightly intrigued to see what happens next (no spoilers please). 

Overall, I'd say go see it once, just to stay in the loop and know what everyone's talking about. I doubt I'll be rewatching it at any point though, that's for sure.

Until Next Time, 
Sofia xx

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the film or read the book but it seems a lot of people have the same view as you from the other reviews I have read! Cringeworthy dialogue and a predictable plot just ain't my cup of tea either! X

    Sparkles & silk on my blog if anyone's interested! --
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you haven't missed much, trust me! I guess it's bearable if you embrace the awkwardness of it all!
      Thanks for your comment, will check out your blog! xx

      Delete